Livin on a crock pot and prayers.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Labor & Delivery

My water broke at 2:37am on Friday night/Saturday morning. Unlike when my water broke with Bella, it burst! I sat straight up and yelled to Randy. He jumped up and started getting ready. I sat there. waiting. afraid to move. He called my sister and then my mom while I called the doctor's office. I had to wait for a call back and then another but we knew we needed to move quickly. A few minutes later the intense contractions began- only a few minutes apart- just like last time. There is no warning or gradual increase in pain- it just starts violently with my babies! Randy helped me dress and we tried to make it downstairs. I was moving really slow and like last time, had to stop every couple of minutes for contractions. My sister had arrived but I could not move any faster- from both pain and fear. I did not know how we were going to make it to the hospital but surprisingly the drive was a little more calm as I concentrated on breathing through the contractions. When we got to the hospital, everyone seemed to be moving in slow motion. I had a contraction as I was checking in so I was laying over on the counter for a minute or more. It was incredibly painful to get to the room but thankfully the very first room was available. I was standing as a nurse helped me change into a gown but I was not able to move much on my own. The pain had me frozen and screaming. I was so loud. I was 9cm when we arrived (also like last time) but before I could get in the bed to be checked, I felt Ava pushing her way down. There were five nurses and I had been pleading for an epidural trying to convince them that I knew I was super far along and that this happened last time. I still felt like people were moving in slow motion. I did hear one nurse say on the phone- "she needed an epidural like yesterday. Are they coming?" The midwife on call was Jessica. I went to high school with her and she was one year ahead of me! I could not stop belting out in pain and could not get myself to move at all. I was stiff. One nurse finally got me focused and stayed in my face, coaching me through. I heard Jessica say to me, "I don't think we are going to get an epidural" after asking many times to which I yelled, "Oh yes we are!" She was the right one though- I had a baby a few minutes later. I was too far along to get an epidural and there was not enough time for the IV to finish giving me fluids, something that has to be done before. We checked in at 3:16am and Ava was born at 3:55am. I continued to sweat, scream, yell, moan and squeeze with all of my might. I was terrified as I realized I was going to be doing this naturally. The midwife let me know she was going to preform an episiotomy to make more room for her to come out. The pushing part actually felt good until I felt burning. It was brief but it made it hard to want to push. I don't remember feeling much different as she came out. I was relieved that the VBAC was a success but there was not a difference in the physical feeling as she actually exited my body. I just believed them that she had made it out and then I held her warm body myself. This was the best part- seeing my baby. With Bella, Randy and I were not able to see the birth because I was put to sleep for a c-section. The midwife began stitching me up and then Dr. Garcia finished. He informed me that I had 3rd degree lacerations (you can read about that here). He seemed pretty serious as he worked but I could care less at the time. I was so thankful that labor was over. It wasn't until it took him a long period of time to finish and the pain of the stitching that I started to realize what this meant. Ava actually pooped on me as she was being delivered so he worked to clean me as well. He delivered the placenta and then completed a few more stitches. I started asking for medicine right away and then for some water. There never was really any relief from the pain and I am still really struggling with it. It is almost impossible to sit without hurting. I am using a lot of ice! and pain med.s of course but nothing actually takes it away. A few minutes after delivery a nurse handed me my earring. Ava had grabbed it from my ear when they laid her on me and they had found it in her hand!

Ava weighed 8lbs and 2oz in our room and then the doctor later told us her official weight was 8lbs 3oz. She was 19 and a half inches long. Having her vaginally was such a relief and I am thankful, BUT the recovery has NOT been easier. At this point, I am giving them a tie. I am having so much pain and I am not really able to walk yet. The walking issues are due to the expansion of my hips I believe. I usually have to hold on to something and I am always hunched over. The contracting pain I am experiencing is minimal- mostly during feedings- and the Motrin is a big help. If we have a third baby and I could choose the way of delivery, I don't know what I would choose! They have both been really intense and apparently my babies come fast- too fast! The major advantage of the VBAC was seeing Ava right away and not being loopy afterwards but most c-sections have those advantages as well- mine was a 1 out of 100 chance being put to sleep and all. I will have to have some serious conversations with the ob/gyn before I would be willing to have a third child- something I actually would have loved to have done before this experience! :)

Breastfeeding could not be better. She latched on right away in the hospital and has been doing great. I haven't had any pain or soreness at this point and my milk came in this morning. She was pooping A LOT on day one- very different from our jaundice experience with Bella.

We are thrilled beyond belief and the experience of becoming a family of four is as sweet as can be.. now that the violent labor is over! Timing was great- Randy can be home with us for 9 days because of the two weekends. Of course we knew God's timing would be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment